Martin’s Soup of Butternut Squash with Cinnamon Croutons
- 3 pounds fresh butternut squash, skin off, seeds cleaned out
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon diced garlic
- 2 tablespoons diced fresh ginger
- ½ cup flour
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ cup of cream
- ¼ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
- ¼ cup fresh cut chives
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin seed oil
- 2 tablespoons slightly whipped cream
- ½ white baguette, one-day old
- 4-6 tablespoons melted butter
- Cinnamon powder
- Cut the butternut squash into one-inch size chunks.
- Heat butter in a soup pot and cook the onions until soft.
- Add the garlic, the fresh ginger, and the butternut squash.
- Dust with flour and mix well. Add the cold chicken or vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer the soup until the butternut squash is very soft.
- Add the cream, nutmeg, and bring the soup again to a boil for one minute. Puree the soup in a blender.
- For the cinnamon croutons, cut the baguette in ¼-inch size cubes and toss them in melted butter.
- Place in large pan and brown in 350 degrees F hot oven until golden brown. Dust the croutons with cinnamon powder and sprinkle with salt.
- Serve the soup in warm cups or bowls and decorate with swirls of cream, pumpkin seed oil, and chives. Serve the fresh warm cinnamon croutons on the side. Bon appétit!
Name of Chef: Mille Fleurs Chef Martin Woesle
Family: Wife – Elisabeth; Children – Emily and William
Hobbies/Interests: Cooking, cycling, tennis, gardening, kayaking at La Jolla Cove, going to the ballpark
About the Recipe: This is a seasonal recipe. The butternut squash can be purchased locally in RSF from Chino Farms. I enjoy the rich flavor and adding special touches to really bring out the taste of the squash.
About the Chef: I am originally from Germany. I was a chef for eight years before moving to San Diego in 1993. I received my training as a chef in Germany and became a master chef at the age of 24.
Get Published! Submit a recipe at www.92067magazine.com and win a $25 restaurant gift certificate!